MAR/C July 2021 Sport Scale Contest and BBQ
This event will be open to all scale model aircraft whether ARF, kit, standoff foamy, or scratch-built. No LM1, LM2, or turbine-powered aircraft allowed. The entrant does not have to be the builder or modifier in the case of an ARF.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Power can be electric, glow, or gas.
- Models will be static judged from 10 ft.
- All models will fly a series of maneuvers and will be judged according to how the full scale aircraft would have performed said maneuvers.
- Two flights will be flown. The flight score will be from the better of the two flights.
- All aircraft must pass static judging with at least 1 point in order to compete.
- Static judging and flight performance will occur according to registration order.
- Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each category
- A single first place prize will be awarded for the best flight score from all categories.
- In the event of a tied score in any category or for Best Flight, a third round of flight scoring will be conducted for the tied airplanes
- Maximum score will be 70. 10 points for static judging plus 60 points from the best of two flights.
- Expert Class – All aircraft must be built from plans or kits adding scale detail as needed to represent the full scale airplane.
- Modified ARF –airplanes that have been altered from the original manufacturer’s presentation by changing paint scheme, markings or by adding scale detail. Non modified ARFs will receive a 2 point deduction with a possible score of 8 points. A modified ARF can receive a total of 10 points.
- Standoff Foamy – models are to be constructed with sheet foam to represent scale aircraft.
STATIC JUDGING PROCEDURE
- Every model must have some form of documentation as proof for shape and markings in reference to full scale aircraft being modeled. Sheet foam models only need to have a 3 view drawing or photograph of a real airplane example of that type. They will be judged on conformity to full scale outlines and craftsmanship.
- Photo of model will not be accepted.
- Each model will be placed in the middle of a 20 foot diameter circle for static judging by 2 judges.
- A maximum of 10 points are possible.
FLIGHT JUDGING PROCEDURE
- Contestant will be required to demonstrate 4 required maneuvers and 2 optional maneuvers from the lists below.
- A maximum of 10 points are possible for each maneuver. A failed maneuver will receive a zero
- Each contestant must call out each maneuver to be judged.
- 2 Judges will score each contestant.
- A maximum of 60 points are possible.
MANDATORY MANEUVERS (40 points possible)
- Climb out
- Traffic pattern with fly by
- Landing pattern
- Final descent and landing
OPTIONAL - choose 2 (20 points possible)
- Split S
- Vintage loop (not circular, for airplanes with low thrust to weight ratio)
- Immelmann turn
- Bomb drop
- Touch and go
- Horizontal figure eight
Airplanes with flaps and/or retractable landing gear
- Low slow fly-by (flaps and gear down)
Total Score will be the sum of the Static points and Flying Points.
Entry Fee: a voluntary donation of $10.00 is suggested which will be donated to a local food bank.